Conferences and Events
- The Virginia Student Councils State Convention: As a member school of VSCA you will have the opportunity to participate in the most worthwhile student leadership event of the year in Virginia. At the VSCA Convention students are energized by nationally known motivational speakers and they learn new ideas about fundraisers, service projects, parliamentary procedure, and ways to enhance school spirit. Students share ideas with students from other schools and work together on regional service projects. They also have the opportunity to debate and amend resolutions that will be voted on by the student leaders at Convention and then forwarded to the educational leaders of the Commonwealth. Participants at Convention elect state officers who will represent their interests at the next level. Additionally, advisers gain insight into how to more successfully mentor their student leaders. The Convention includes fun events such as a banquet and a video dance party. Most advisers who attend the VSCA Convention realize that it unites their student council and gives them ideas about how to effectively plan for the future. The VSCA Convention is an event not to be missed by any student or adviser dedicated to the principles of student leadership.
- Regional Leadership Workshops: As a member school, you will pay a significantly reduced rate to participate in Regional Leadership Workshops. These workshops are conducted throughout the state to help students develop their leadership skills. Regional Leadership Workshops allow students to practice parliamentary procedure and learn "ice breakers" and team building exercises. These one-day events can generate many ideas and much enthusiasm that will carry over into the State Convention.
- Summer Leadership Workshops: New student leaders (as well as new advisers) are often at a loss as to how to continue to grow as leaders through their Student Council Association. To assist new student leaders, the VSCA will offer a one-day Workshop for newly elected student leaders and advisers. As a VSCA member school, you will have the opportunity to register for this event. This one-day session will prepare student leaders for the challenges they will face as leaders in the upcoming school year. Opportunities will be provided for SCA leaders and advisers to share new ideas and skills. More information will be posted on this upcoming event soon.
- The Official VSCA Adviser's Handbook: The VSCA Adviser's Handbook is available for purchase by VSCA members. The Handbook is filled with ideas for effectively running a meeting, working with the administration, officer descriptions, methods for handling elections, project planning, and many other ideas. No adviser should be without a VSCA Adviser Handbook. To order the handbook, complete and return the Handbook Order Form.
- The Student Leader (The VSCA Newsletter): The VSCA newsletter is an on-line resource for students and advisers. Each monthly issue of the newsletter contains ideas for students and advisers about service projects, fundraisers, and spirit ideas. Members of VSCA are encouraged to submit ideas to the Student Leader for publication. These submissions allow your school to gain visibility and recognition for your activities and accomplishments, as well as giving great ideas to other student leaders.
The VSCA Director and the VSCA State Office will assist student councils with the development of Constitutions and By-Laws, student government structures, and effectively running a Student Council Association. As a member school, you are encouraged to contact the VSCA Director with any and all concerns about Student Council at email@example.com. Your emails will be returned promptly.