The Virginia Student Councils Association (VSCA) is a leadership learning organization for student leaders from private and public schools throughout the Commonwealth. VSCA provides learning experiences in leadership and opportunities to practice the citizenship skills necessary for effective participation in our democratic society. VSCA encourages the formation, development, and expansion of student councils in all schools (K-12) in Virginia.
The principal goals of the Virginia Student Councils Association are to:
- instill American ideals, including the development of leadership and citizenship, among the youth of today;
- foster student leadership in a democratic environment;
- assist all student councils in becoming more effective organizations within their school, community, state and nation;
- promote student participation within the school and its community; and
- assist student councils and their leadership in focusing on relevant current problems that affect them and encouraging them to seek solutions to those problems.
The VSCA sponsors several training activities statewide throughout the year to promote leadership in schools. VSCA gives both students and advisors the opportunity for training, networking, social interaction, and the transaction of student council business. They represent major efforts to assist student councils throughout Virginia.
MEET THE DIRECTOR
Andrea Vail has been the VSCA Director since August, 2014. She has worked in public schools for 17 years as a teacher, coach, class sponsor, student council advisor, student activities director, assistant principal, and administrator for her school division's educational foundation. Andrea currently live in Chesapeake, Virginia with her husband and two boys.